Friday, April 27, 2012

Interview with Melissa Hosack


We have author Melissa Hosack here with us, sharing about herself and her wonderful writing. Drop a comment below and be entered to win a copy of her book Hunter.

 

WR: Tell us a little bit about yourself. What do you write? Why?

M: I live near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with my husband, Jeremy, and our two year old son, Marshall Frost. When not writing, I enjoy reading as well as playing sports. I love going out to the flea market on Fridays in the summer with my son and simply walking around in the sun. I’m also an amusement park junkie. If there is a terrifying ride, I am the first in line! I am currently attending London School of Journalism, taking their Creative Writing Program.

I mainly write Paranormal Romance. I started out writing children’s stories when I was younger. In high school, I saw my first scary movie. I snuck the movie Scream into the house against my father’s wishes. Around the same time, I read Anne Rice’s Interview With A Vampire. I was hooked after that! I couldn’t get enough of the paranormal. I got into the television shows Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, both which center around the paranormal. The addiction never stopped.

WR: If you could be any one of your characters, who would you choose?

M: That is such a hard question. Usually, the more I like a character, the worse things I put them through. I feel it builds personality and makes them interesting. I would possibly say Aurora from my unpublished novel Dark Rising. She had multiple paranormal studs vying for her affection, but then again, she suffered through the zombie apocalypse, had her entire family killed off, and was stalked by a psychotic serial killer. The supernatural studs outweigh the negative aspects…right?

WR: What is your creative process like? Do you need music to write? Silence?

M: My creative process is totally random. I get ideas from the most off the wall things. Then I just run with it. When I’m done, the thing that initially inspired me becomes such a small aspect in the story, one wouldn’t believe that such a tiny detail inspired an entire novel.

I don’t need music to write or silence. When I sit down with a pen and paper, I am able to tune out the rest of the world. I get tunnel vision as if there is nothing except my character and the story that needs told.

WR: What is a guilty pleasure of yours?

M: Role Playing Games. I am so addicted to RPGs. It is interactive writing with others that keeps me fresh. My RPGs keep me in constant writing mode.

WR: What inspires you?

M: As I said above, the most random things inspire me. I love Anthology books, because I enjoy the challenge of a theme. I’m inspired to find some interesting, supernatural angle for any topic thrown my way.

WR: What is one of your worst pet peeves?

M: Electronics! More accurately, people who are so absorbed in their electronics that they ignore the rest of the world. It drives me insane to go out in public and see someone talking on their phone while placing a dinner order or paying for a purchase. They are so obsessed with texting or the latest app that they can’t afford the person they are interacting with the respect of their attention. It is so rude!

WR: Describe what a perfect day would be for you.

M: The perfect day for me would have to be a carefree day with my family where we get no interruptions from work, other family members, or friends. I love the other people in my life, but sometimes I just need some downtime with my boys. I would love 24 hours with just my husband and son. The three of us could maybe take a trip to the flea market and go out to dinner.

WR: If you could bring any fictional character to life, yours or anyone else’s, who would you pick?

M: I would be tempted to say Kieran from my Dark Rising series, the psychotic serial killer mentioned above, but I don’t think bringing a maniacal vampire to life is a wise decision no matter how cool he is.

Instead, I might have to go with Peeta from the Hunger Games. Peeta was the most selfless, caring character I’ve ever read. After reading the first book in that series, I declared he was the perfect man. He upheld that title in my eyes throughout the trilogy. Then again, I prefer my heroes with a darker edge to them, so maybe I would choose Artemis Fowl. I would love to sit down and have a chat with that devious individual.

WR: If you could shape-shift, what animal would you turn into and why?

M: I would want to be something sleek and sexy with razor-sharp claws, perhaps a leopard.

WR: Where can we find you and your work around the web?

M: You can find information on all of my books on my website at: https://sites.google.com/site/melissahosack/ You can also buy my books at these sites:



3 comments:

  1. Hunter is the man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what she will come up with next. Loved it. Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm checking to see if I can comment.
    This is really a pretty blog.

    ReplyDelete